[OPLINLIST] BTOP question: 20% match?

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Thu Jul 30 08:12:26 EDT 2009

Q:
> We feel like we should be given a waiver on the 20% matching funds and
> sort of want to apply that way because of the recent budget cuts, but
> will we look greedy compared to some truly impoverished libraries?

In order to get a waiver for the 20% match, you must prove that you
really need it. If you decide to request a waiver of the match, you will
need to submit complete financial documentation, including assets,
liabilities, operating expenses and revenues, and any other documents
that would demonstrate financial need, such as denial of funding from a
public or private lending institution. (See http://oplin.org/applyBTOP,
"Before you start.")

In-kind contributions can count toward the match, but in-kind
contributions which are shared-use with other library activities not
directly related to your BTOP project will not be eligible unless you
can clearly separate the portion that will directly relate to the
project. Also be aware that you will get more points when NTIA scores
your proposal if your match is cash rather than in-kind.

Stephen