[OPLINLIST] Map Restoration Info

Susan Pieper susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 12:33:48 EDT 2009

Hello:
The following is a recap of the information I received for our local county
treasurer. They found an old map they want restored. Thank you all for your
help:

   - I’m not an archivist but a part-time bookbinder with a long-standing
   interest in conservation/preservation.  Your framing idea is pretty good.
   You want to make sure that both the backing and the mat is acid-free and
   that the map is attached to the backing using acid-free tape.  Gaylord has a
   paper tape with water-based adhesive that would probably be good
   http://www.gaylordmart.com/adblock.asp?abid=15702&sid=894BAEDBD86742B29700235F49D1D2I’d
stay away from plastic-backed self-adhesive tapes even if they’re
   labeled archival.   They might be OK but I’m skeptical.  You may also want
   to consider conservation glass (for UV protection) if the map will end up
   being displayed. Another possibility is polyester encapsulation.
   Superficially it looks like lamination (which you do not want to do) but is
   appropriate for archival uses.  Basically it’s like sealing it in a big
   plastic envelope—you can see it but dust, dirt, etc. can’t get in at it.
   Good protection but not as good for display purposes. Does Ohio have a state
   historical society with a conservation lab?  Here in Wisconsin we do and
   libraries and other institutions can send things down for treatment (or at
   least could before budget cuts—don’t know how things are now).  Even if they
   can’t do the work for you they’d be a good source of local advice. Mark W.
   Arend, Assistant Director, Winnefox Library System (WI)
   - These websites have information that might be helpful.:
   http://www.nedcc.org/about/introduction.php and
http://www.lyrasis.org/GraceAnne A. DeCandido, Reader Writer Editor
Reviewer ~ New York City
   - Your state preservation experts or archivists will tell you how.  A few
   years ago, one of them in Missouri took a wall plat map of our county, made
   2 or 3 copies, preserved the original, and they kept one copy in exchange
   for doing that.  They did this for the local historical society. I would
   definitely talk to them before doing anything.  If Ohio doesn't have anyone,
   call Missouri's. Glenda Pate, Cedar County Library (MO)
   - We are in the middle of an 1860 map restoration project.  Before we did
   anything, we talked to Angela O'Neal at the Ohio Historical Society.  She
   gave us a lot of good tips for restoration.  We framed our map about 10
   years ago. Although it was framed well, it was not protected properly.
   Angela should be able to give you some good advice. Susan F. Corl. Head of
   Reference Service Holmes County District Public Library Millersburg, Ohio
   - You could contact the Historical Society in Columbus for advice.  They
   gave me excellent advice on how to preserve a 1911 Liberty Loan flag. Hope
   this helps. Rachel Mathie, Local History/Genealogy Loudonville Public
   Library Loudonville, Ohio
   - Angela O'Neal from the Ohio Historical Society has been a wonderful
   resource for the Hurt/Battelle Memorial Library's digitization project. The
   OHS would probably be an excellent source of information for your
   restoration. I'm sure Angela could direct you to someone within her
   organization that could give you specific information. Her e-mail address is
   aoneal at ohiohistory.orgChad Neeper, Senior Systems EngineerHurt/Battelle
   Memorial Library West Jefferson, Ohio
   - Ohio Historical Society Hours: Monday – Wednesday CLOSED; Thursday,
   1:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.; Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Saturday 9:00 a.m. –
   5:00 p.m.; Sunday CLOSED. PHONE: (614) 297-2510 www.ohiohistory.org
   - Your best, and relatively least expensive solution, would be to
   “encapsulate” the map. For example, go to the MetalLEdge website to see
   their archival products.  We used the encapsulation technique to preserve
   some 100+ year old newspapers from a time capsule so that the public could
   still handle and read the pages. You can also request that the mail you a
   copy of their catalog. www.metaledgeinc.com – “Pre-made Encapsulation
   Unit” sheets can be purchased in a variety of sizes.  Two sheets can be
   taped together to form a clear “envelope” within which you would place the
   map.  Also, you could look up their “Archival Polyester Enclosures”.  These
   come in variety of sizes and are sealed on one long and one short side.
   http://www.metaledgeinc.com/Products.tpl?cart=1244482077223028&id2=728&788Valerie
Smith, M.L.S., Public Services Coordinator Lorain Public Library
   Lorain, Ohio
   - In our area (Putnam County) our historical society does some
   preserving. Do you have a local historical society in your area, they might
   be glad to help? Linda Hermiller Putnam County District Library Ottawa, Ohio
   - A few years ago someone found an old picture behind a refrigerator.  We
   sent it to CREATIVE EXPRESSIONS, in Wheeling (WV) for restoration.  They
   were reasonable and did a great job.  Their web site is www.cre8m.com.
   Their number is 304-232-9623. Yvonne O. Myers, Director Martins Ferry Public
   Library Martins Ferry, Ohio
   - Try the Intermuseum Conservation Association in Cleveland. The website
   is http://www.ica-artconservation.org/ Andrew Fearn, Adult Services
   Librarian Norwalk Public Library Norwalk, Ohio
   - You may want to contact the Center for Archival Collections in Bowling
   Green.  They can encapsulate the map for you in Mylar and possibly do some
   repair.  They may also be interested in digitizing it as part of their
   collection. Susan Irwin, Assistant Director Williams County Public Library
   - Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University (OH)
   Toll Free: 866-542-2478 http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/cac/

*****************************
Susan Hill Pieper
Director/Editor