[OPLINLIST] library benefit

Rachelle Miller rmiller at tmcpl.org
Thu Mar 12 15:40:52 EDT 2009

In the midst of this dismal economy, I wanted to share some good news
with everyone.

I got a wonderful surprise phone call last week. It seems a group of
businesses noticed the publicity surrounding cuts in our budget and our
reduction in hours and staff and decided to help. They will be hosting a
benefit on May 9 from noon-8 p.m. It looks like it will be quite the
event! There will be food from participating businesses like BW3s, Penn
Station, Sakai, and El Rancho Grande. There will be inflatables for kids
to jump on from Jumpy's. We'll have bands, a radio broadcast, and a
raffle with items from local businesses. You will even find me and two
other library staffers getting dunked in the dunk tank! There will be a
frozen T-shirt contest, cornhole tournament, an appearance by the Bud
Light girls, and of course the bookmobile will be there. The business
owners have managed to coordinate all of this in a week's time and their
goal is to come up with enough money that we will be able to re-open on
Sundays.

They could have chosen any other non-profit to support, food pantries,
battered women's shelters, health clinics... but they picked us. It's
nice to know there are still people out there who care about libraries.

Rachelle Miller

Director

Troy-Miami County Public Library

419 W. Main St.