[OPLINLIST] automotive link

Lynne Welch welchly at oplin.org
Mon Mar 23 14:43:27 EDT 2009

Points to consider:
1. There is no statement indicating credentials - the "About Us" we
teach our patrons to look for.
2. A quick survey via internet search engines (I used both Google and
AllTheWeb.com, my preferred searcher) indicates that they "sponsored" a
review at  Houston  Cars
(http://www.houstoncars.org/autotropoliscom-review.php) in 2007.
3. MotorTrend profiles them (unclear whether this is a press release or
an article by MT's staff)
http://www.motortrend.com/features/newswire/25855/index.html
4. Other info found various places (prwire.com for example) indicate
that the company has been in business about 5 years. They are similar to
the Trading-Post type publication (the sellers pay for the ads; content
is free to potential buyers) and have a layout similar to the NADA
website www.nadaguides.com.
5. The Better Business Bureau says they have been a member since 2008
and has a rating for them of A-; details here
http://www.bbb.org/west-florida/business-reviews/auto-services-other/autotropoliscom-in-tampa-fl-90049155
6. Their main claim to added value appears to be a nifty little
interactive script which asks a series of questions and then attempts to
match your personality type and budget to available vehicle models. They
also appear to partner with dealers in various locations - they do not
sell cars themselves; they just provide a service that links the
customer with nearby dealers.
Hope this helps,
Lynne Welch
Herrick Memorial Library