[OPLINLIST] Public IM Chat

Nicholas Slone gawtrain at oplin.org
Sat Oct 3 09:51:45 EDT 2009

Mr. Wale,

If you're interested in checking out what I've done with the reference
desk and meebo, our website is:

http://pikecountylibrary.org/

http://www.meebo.com

Although I've seen some discussion about the possibility of it bogging
down the web server, since it's web based, I love the fact that it's
pretty easy to implement....since it's web based. Theoretically, then,
you could log in and do chat reference from anywhere, as well.  All you
really have to do is create a free account for every department.  Then
create a "meebo me" widget for each account.  Then, copy and paste the
code for each widget in the department's page on the website.  We only
have one for reference, but I've embedded it on the front page and the
reference page.

The other part of our implementation is that we use firefox at the
reference desk, and we have an extension installed for meebo.  That way,
every time you start up the browser, you are logged into meebo and ready
to take reference questions.

While it doesn't have the ability to "push" pages the way that KnowItNow
does, in my opinion, the "pushing" feature has always been slow and not
very helpful.  It's just as easy and less bandwidth intensive to post a
link in an IM box, allowing the patron to have more control over how to
open the links themselves.

It's only been up for a little over a year, and it's basically taken
that long for people to really start noticing it.  Also, meebo gives you
the ability to attach other IM accounts to it.   So, I've also created a
screen name for the most popular IM services and attached them.  That
way, if a patron uses AIM or Yahoo! exclusively, we can distribute our
screen name and they can add us to their buddy list.  I like the idea of
us going to where they are, rather than forcing them to come to us and
do it our way.

Hope all that helps!

--
Sincerely,