[OPLINLIST] Recycling Books

Gerry Vogel gvogel at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Fri Sep 11 12:09:00 EDT 2009

Does anyone have a company or service that recycles books?  As is, covers
and all?

Our dirty secret (and yours, probably):  since these are unacceptable to
most paper recyclers, they go in landfills.

We have lots of dead books (our own and donations that are unusable,
unsalable or just dirty) and do not have the time and equipment to strip
covers from text blocks.  Which would themselves then go into a landfill.

Patrons also ask us what to do with their old books that THEY know aren't
wanted by us, or anyone else (for reasons above).  Maybe this would give the
community an option as well (a special bin?).

--
Gerry Vogel, MLIS
Assistant Director, Avon Lake Public Library

*any opinions expressed are my own and not (necessarily, or yet) those of
ALPL*

Join OHIO :  http://sites.google.com/a/avonlake.lib.oh.us/ohio/