[OPLINLIST] memoirs and other nonfictions works that turn out to be fake

Mark Mabelitini mabelima at oplin.org
Tue Sep 22 15:17:07 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I have some biographies that turned out to be fakes a la James Frey.  They
are by Nasdijj, the pen name used by author Timothy Patrick Barrus.

I have a couple of questions.  First, I think we should keep them for
those patrons who may be doing research on all of the fake memoirs and
such.  I would hate to see us get rid of them BECAUSE they are fake and
rather think that is exactly why we SHOULD keep them.  Now, maybe not a
small or mid-sized library but a larger public or university library would
make more sense.  Is anyone keeping these?  Which leads to my second
question.

Second, and this may be for you catalogers out there, where should they be
shelved?   I don't think they should be in biography or wherever they were
originally put, but I'm not sure they should be in fiction either which is
where they sometimes wind up.  Is there a Dewey number for "Stuff that
turns out to be fake?"

I appreciate the thoughts.

Mark

Mark Mabelitini, Director