[OPLINLIST] computer usage & fines

Sandy Thaxton thaxtosa at oplin.org
Wed Apr 7 13:41:05 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I know fine issues have been discussed on this listserv ad nauseum, but
I think I have a different slant.

Currently, in order for our patrons to check out books or other items,
they need to have their fines below $20.00.
 There is no such policy for computer usage, although many patrons have
fines of  $40.00, $50.00 and (much) more. The thought is that they may
need to use the computer for a job search, although in my experience
those are maybe 1% of the patrons using computers. Therefore, patrons
with large fines may access the computers and they have no obligation
(and no reason) to pay their fines.

I am interested to know how other libraries address this issue. Would
you share? Thanks.

Sandy Thaxton
MLJ-Hardin County District Library
Kenton, OH 43326