[OPLINLIST] computer usage & fines

Andrew Davis davisan at grandvalley.lib.oh.us
Thu Apr 8 12:49:08 EDT 2010

Sandy,

What we started doing here at my library about 2 yrs ago is if a patron
has a block or fine on their record that is over $2.00, they are
required to make some type of payment, either till the fine is under
$2.00 or they are putting $2 + towards the fee.

Reasoning is: that we feel that the patrons that come and use the
library just for our internet is using a service that we offer, which is
no different if someone wants to check an item out.  By doing this the
policy is the same for everyone, No matter what.  The reason for the
$2.00 block is that we feel that in these economical times, $2.00 is a
little easier to pay off or make a payment on then $20 or $30.

How we implement this is when a patron wants to use a internet station
they are required to register at the main circ desk, by giving the staff
their library card.  (If the patron does not have a library card we
accept some form of picture ID).  We then scan the library card or enter
their name in our Horizon automation system to see if they have a card
with us, and if they do if they are in good standing.  Also by doing
this we are able to make sure that any patron under the age of 18 has
parental permission to use and access the internet through our stations.

If the patron has no fines, or not in our system we then give them a
sheet with our internet use policy, printing instructions, cost of
printing, and the station #.  They take the sheet to the station and we
put the card/id on a eraser board with pockets located behind our circ
desk.  In order for the patron to leave, they need to return our station
sheet and we give them back their card/id.  This way we do not need to
take names/signatures and can keep track of which machine is being used,
if they have met their time limit, and we can keep tally of how many
users we have for the day.

If the patron has fines, when we check their card or search their name
in our system, we then proceed to inform them that their fines have to
be under $2.00 to use any of our services, including computers.  If they
make a payment and the fine is under $2.  we will assign them to a
machine.  If the patron has a fine more than $2 (ex. currently we have a
patron with a fine of $175 of lost dvd's and materials) then each time
they come to use our stations they must put some type of a payment from
$2. or more towards their total fine.  (This patron currently comes in
to use our stations everyday and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, so in the
past couple of weeks they have paid around $45 of their $175 fine.)

In addition to this if a patron is using this payment option that we are
offering to them and they acquire another fee for other items lost or
overdue they become blocked and can not use our computer stations or
check any items out till the fine is paid in full!

We tell our patrons that, We understand that times are tough, no matter
who you are or what your situation is.  But we are a business, and if we
offer all of our services free of charge, and don't charge for overdues,
lost items, damaged items, etc then it will come to a point where we
will have nothing to offer to them.  Cause all of our items will be
unavailable to be checked out.

In my community we have a cyber-cafe, if someone would like to use their
services they are charged a fee per hour, per print outs, and have the
business rules and restrictions.  For the library we offer the same
services, no charge for internet, unlimited time limit if machines are
not in demand, and really cheap print outs .05 a page.

We aren't making back tons of money, but a little bit that we can try to
keep our doors open and some items on our shelves for another day.

Hope this is some help.  If you have any questions, etc, feel free to
contact us here.

Andrew
Director
Grand Valley Public Library