[OPLINLIST] Unemployment

stevench@oplin.org stevench at oplin.org
Mon Jan 11 11:48:24 EST 2010

Hello,

I am a new Fiscal Officer (started in October) & have some questions
concerning Unemployment(we are a reimbursing employer).  We laid off an
employee in June of 2009.  She filed for unemployment eventhough she had
another job at the time.  She is now still collecting unemployment & is
working at a job with benefits.  We never received any invoices from Job &
Family Services.  Dec 15th I received a collection letter stating that we
owed ~ $1800.  It took me about 10 phone calls to track down someone who
could give me any information about the charges.  They could not get me a
copy of the invoices but printed out a list of charges owed (hopefully
this will not cause problems with the auditor).  When I called back to see
why the employee was collecting unemployment when she was still working
they told me she hadn't reported any income.  I know for a fact she is
currently working.  I let them know that she was working & I was told I
could contact the fraud department but we still owed the money & she also
collected for December so I will be getting another bill.  We're worried
about getting the bills paid so we don't incurr any additional charges.
but, aren't sure we should pay them as we will probably never get our
money back if the employee shouldn't have collected the money.  Each time
I try to get information from J&FS I am told to call the other branch who
told me to call them-it's been quite a headache.  They also had our name
wrong on all of the paperwork which took me another 6 phone calls to
straighten out (if indeed it is really resolved).  Sorry the post is so
long my predecessor passed away & I only had 2 days of training with her &
I am came from manufacturing accounting & someone else handled the
personnel issues.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Chris Stevens
Fiscal Officer