[OPLINLIST] Library card barcodes scanned into smart phones

Travis McAfee mcafeetr at oplin.org
Tue Jan 12 10:05:06 EST 2010

My biggest concern about this trend is that I know how hectic it can get
behind a circ desk and I'd be uncomfortable passing around a $500+ phone.
I'm going to assume that when the patron hands over the phone they
understand the risk of damage (or as I call it, percussive maintenance) to
their prized piece of hardware, though.  As far as the technology (or even
policy) goes I don't personally see any issues with allowing them to do
this.

However, the way our self-check system works, patrons would have to slide
their smart phones across a huge powered magnet that desensitizes our
security strips.  I'm not sure what the implications there would be.  The
scanner in our self check requires some distance to read barcodes, and that
distance is within a few inches of the desensitizer.

We use patron barcodes as their log in for computers and it's not a crazy
idea that there could be a scanner malfunction at the service desks. As long
as they have access to their digits and understand the risks involved with
using their phone in this fashion I'd be happy.

Travis McAfee

Systems Administrator

Way Public Library

101 E. Indiana Ave.