[OPLINLIST] adoptive kids and collections

Eric Taggart etaggart at coshoctonlibrary.org
Wed Sep 1 13:09:44 EDT 2010

I would only allow children's materials to be checked out with the
children's cards until the adoptive father's card is cleared.  I would also
work out some type of an agreement with him where he paid whatever he could
towards the lost materials each month.

I just had a similar situation take place.  The grandmother of a child has
custody and wants her grandchild to be able to use the library.  The
grandchild has over $200 in lost fines, which occurred when the child was 7
years old with a card the father signed for.  The grandmother had spoken to
the father (her son) about returning the items, but was unable to get him to
do so.  Her card had $16 in fines and she hadn't used the library in quite
some time.  After some thought, I asked her to pay her fine and to continue
to encourage her son to return the lost items.

The reality is that you are never going to see the money from the kids'
original cards- forget it, you'll never get it no matter what you do.  But I
don't see any reason that you can't recover the $80 on the adoptive father's
card.  It's like running the bank running someone's credit for a loan- you
need to make sure that you are giving these cards to the care of responsible
people.  If he pays his $80, he will again become a responsible patron in
the eyes of the library, and the kids can have cards.  You are just being a
good steward of the public's money, while doing your best to help these
children use the library

Hope this helps-
Eric

--