[OPLINLIST] Book Discussion Groups

Andrea Adkins andrea.adkins at oplin.org
Thu Sep 16 16:53:45 EDT 2010

A problem recently, as in this afternoon, came up with a person who
attends the book group I facilitate at the library. Her main complaint is
that she feels one person's opinion rules over the others who participate
in the group. Also, she believes it is not academic enough in nature. I am
diplomatic, I share my opinion even if it differs from those in the group
as others do and try to make sure everyone is allowed to comment. The
person with the complaint attended before and stopped for the same
reason(s). I have been leading this group since the fall of 2004 and many
different people, easily over 30, have participated at different times. I
have told her it is an open group and anyone (preferably over the age of
18), male or female is allowed to participate (I've maybe had 6 different
men attend in total at different times) and that it is not an academic
study of the selection (although we do get academic at times).

Does anyone have any suggestions to deal with this?

I will freely compile the suggestions I get anonymously and post them.

Thanks in advance.
--
Andrea B. Adkins, Librarian
Information Services Manager