[OPLINLIST] Ethical Decision Making for Librarians

Kent Oliver koliver at starklibrary.org
Thu Apr 28 16:55:44 EDT 2011

Friends, I hope you will consider this training opportunity taking place at our Perry Sippo Branch June 2.  Dr. Nancy Zimmerman provides a challenging and thoughtful look at ethics as they apply in our profession. I highly recommend it!

Kent

OLC PROGRAM: ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING FOR LIBRARIANS. The Ohio Library Council is pleased to host Ethical Decision-Making for Librarians and Information Professionals, Thurs., June 2, at the Perry Sippo Branch of the Stark County District Public Library. This one-day seminar is presented by Dr. Nancy Zimmerman, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, The Graduate School, and Associate Professor, School of Library and Information Science, at the University of South Carolina. Dr. Zimmerman is a certified Institute for Global Ethics (IGE) educator, an ALA Councilor-at-Large, and former chair of the ALA Committee on Professional Ethics.

This seminar will provide the practical tools and thought processes necessary to assist library staff members in resolving the ethical issues they face daily. This dynamic four-step process helps participants:

 *   become ethically aware;
 *   identify the global common ground of values underlying ethics that surface from research conducted around the world;
 *   analyze ethical issues using real-life, real-work, right vs. right dilemmas according to four dilemma paradigms; and
 *   resolve dilemmas using three practical resolution principles.

Registration is $100.00 for OLC Individual members or staff of Institutional Member libraries. Discount rates are available for three or more registrants from the same library. Contact Doug Evans (devans at olc.org<mailto:devans at olc.org> or 614.410.8092) for details. More information and online registration<http://www.olc.org/WorkshopDescription.asp?ID=508> are available on the OLC website.

Kent Oliver, Executive Director
Stark County District Library
715 Market Ave., N., Canton, OH 44702
W: 330 458 2710 FAX: 330 455 9596
"Inspiring Ideas, Enriching Lives, Creating Community"
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CC05C5.1D496FF0]
Named as one of 10 recipients of the 2009 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation's highest honor for museums and libraries.
This communication is a confidential and proprietary  communication. It is intended solely for the use of the designated recipient(s). If this communication is received in error, please contact the sender and delete this communication.