[OPLINLIST] Fwd: The Economist: An important update

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.org
Thu Jun 9 10:25:02 EDT 2011

Email received from EBSCO this morning.  If you have questions, please
contact OPLIN Support at support at oplin.org or (614) 728-5252.

Laura Solomon

Dear EBSCO Customer,

As you probably know, EBSCO has done a lot more than any other
aggregator to preserve the stability of our full-text databases on
behalf of our customers.  We have gone to great lengths to ensure that
our customers have avoided losing access to any important magazines or
journals, particularly when there is no other way to gain reasonable
access to the publications.  EBSCO has done so at great expense, but
without passing on those dramatic cost increases to our customers.

In the case of /The Economist/, there was recently a bid by the
publisher for a semi-exclusive contract.  EBSCO did not think the
required investment was justifiable, given that the cost would need to
be passed on to our customers, so as of June 30, 2012, our coverage will
become A&I-only (abstracting & indexing) for this magazine.  We wanted
to give you a full year's notice.  In the end, our understanding is that
two vendors (Gale and ProQuest) will continue to provide limited access
(to a text-only version of the publication with no images), and the
publisher (via EIU) will continue to offer direct, full access
(including images).

As mentioned, EBSCO will continue to index and abstract /The Economist/,
so if your library has a link resolver, users will still be able to get
to the limited full text (without images) via Gale or ProQuest (with a
subscription) or the complete full text with images via EIU (with a
subscription).  If your library does not have a link resolver,
EBSCO/host/offers a free CustomLink feature, which can also be used to
provide links for this publication.

It is worth noting that this rare occurrence does not signify some sort
of new trend; it is instead an anomaly and a conscious choice by EBSCO
to keep costs manageable by not overpaying for a publication that is
somewhat easily accessible via other means.

Sincerely,

Melissa D'Amato,

Vice President of Publisher Relations