[OPLINLIST] E-Rate SOMACS contract and riders

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Mon Mar 7 07:52:45 EST 2011

As the E-Rate application deadline approaches (March 24), I am getting
more and more inquiries concerning the status of the SOMACS contract
from libraries that purchase T1 lines under that contract between the
state and AT&T.

Back on February 1, I wrote:
"It's our understanding that the E-Rate riders will be required again
when the SOMACS contract is extended for another two years. Currently,
AT&T and the state have not agreed on the terms of the SOMACS extension,
so there is no contract for the E-Rate rider to "ride" on at this point."

This is still the current situation.

I also said, back on February 1, that I thought the contract extension
would be completed in a couple of weeks. That obviously hasn't happened,
but I am in frequent contact with the negotiating parties and have made
sure everyone is aware of the need to get this done quickly, and they
assure me they will let me know as soon as something is settled. When
that happens, I will broadcast the news. Meanwhile, libraries that
purchase SOMACS T1 lines cannot submit their E-Rate application, since
there is as yet no contract.

Stephen
--
Stephen Hedges, Director