[OPLINLIST] 501(c)(3) Question

John K. Chidester jchidest at knox.net
Tue May 10 13:18:33 EDT 2011

Since public libraries in Ohio are governmental units (though I'm not sure
whether or not that applies to Association libraries), they do not need
501(c)3 status.  I think they can apply for it, if they want to, by filing
IRS form 1023, but that involves a lengthy and laborious process, and it has
to be renewed periodically.  Why bother?

According to the IRS: "Charitable contributions to governmental units are
tax-deductible under section 170(c)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code if made
for a public purpose." (Source:
www.irs.gov/govt/fslg/article/0,,id=112708,00.html)  That should be all most
public libraries need.

John Chidester, Director

Public Library of Mount Vernon and Knox County