[OPLINLIST] Follow up to selling book question

Patricia Marsh pmarsh at starklibrary.org
Fri May 13 13:21:37 EDT 2011

The responses on selling books we about half for letting the author sell and half for having a local book store do it.  There were some FOL groups that sell instead or in addition to.  There was one response that the library cannot sell anything.  I'm not certain if anyone else can add anything to that.  I know we carry items that customers can purchase but we only charge reimbursement costs.  So maybe it makes a difference if there is a profit being made.

Part 2 of this question which hasn't come up yet for us but we are thinking ahead.
What if a presenter (paid to do a program for our customers) wants to sell something associated with the program?  For example one of the many coupon people might want to sell items they suggest to organize coupons.  Has anyone run into this?  Any policies or practices in place?
And I am thinking of this differently from someone using a meeting room and not giving a library program.

Thanks again!
Patty

Patty Marsh
Associate Director for Public Services
Stark County District Library
715 Market Ave N
Canton, OH 44702
330-458-2703
In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with floaties and teach us how to swim.
-Linton Weeks