[OPLINLIST] BIG database news (pass it on)

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Thu May 26 12:11:14 EDT 2011

At this morning's meeting of the State Library of Ohio Board, a grant
extending LSTA support for the Ohio Web Library databases was approved
for another year. The State Library will be sending our more details
shortly, but I wanted to let you know ASAP that this year, in addition
to support for Biography Reference Bank, EBSCOhost, Learning Express,
Job & Career Accelerator, Oxford Reference, Science Online, and World
Book, the Board also added support for two ADDITIONAL databases as
one-year pilot projects: Mango Languages, and Ancestry Library Edition.

Mango Languages is an online foreign language learning system. The
languages covered by the package are: Arabic (Levantine), Chinese
(Cantonese), Chinese (Mandarin), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dari, Dutch,
Farsi, Finish, French, German, Greek, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hindi,
Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Pashto,
Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Slovak, Spanish (Latin American), Tagalog,
Tami, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, and Vietnamese. In addition, there
are 15 English-as-a-Second Language (ESL) packages to help various
foreign language speakers learn English.

ProQuest Ancestry Library Edition delivers billions of records in census
data, vital records, directories, photos, and more, contained in over
7,000 databases. Unlike the other Ohio Web Library databases, Ancestry
Library Edition will be restricted to on-site library access (no remote
access).

We will be working with these vendors over the next few weeks to insure
that all libraries that currently subscribe to these databases will
receive credit for their purchases. The State Library will also be
providing a template for libraries that want to release this news to
their local press. Throughout these one-year pilot projects we will, of
course, be closely monitoring public library usage of these databases.

One other piece of database news:

Some vendors provide detailed reports of library usage that include data
which does not fit easily into the OPLIN Database Usage Reporting Tool
(ODURT) format of "searches" and "articles"--Learning Express being one
example. If you go to http://oplin.org/odurt or http://oplin.org/stats
and click on "More DETAILED Stats," you can now downloaded these
detailed reports and extract your library's data.

Questions? We'll try to answer them at http://support.oplin.org.

--
Stephen Hedges, Director
2323 W. Fifth Ave., Suite 130