[OPLINLIST] Stumpers: Two Asian Folktales?

kcervelli@perry.lib.oh.us kcervelli at perry.lib.oh.us
Tue May 31 13:43:46 EDT 2011

Hello!
A patron came in today looking for two Asian folktales (not sure how old they are) that she read in picture book format.  If either of these rings a bell I'd be very thankful!  (please excuse cross postings!)

#1: Generations of a Chinese family together, they carry the elderly members on their backs, when this becomes difficult, they decide to put the elderly in an old person's home, the young boy in the family says to his parents very innocently "So this is what I will do when you are old", and the family takes their old folks back out of the home and back with the family.

#2: A Samurai who is a hot-head wants to fight with one who is wise.  The Wise man says he chooses not to fight whenever he can, but agrees to fight the hot-head.  He makes a condition that they should go fight on an island and then leaves the hot-head there, and thus avoids fighting him.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kara Cervelli

Kara J. Cervelli, MLS
Head of Children's Services / Website Manager
Perry Public Library
3753 Main Street
Perry, Ohio 44081

440-259-3300
fax: 440-259-3977

kids at perry.lib.oh.us

http://www.perrypubliclibrary.org/children.htm

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."  - Albert Einstein