[OPLINLIST] Backpacks in Libraries

Eric Taggart etaggart at coshoctonlibrary.org
Tue Apr 10 16:26:24 EDT 2012

We only allow the thieves to bring backpacks.  That way, we know exactly
who they are.

Actually, we were going through a period where we discovered several
documents missing from our Local History Room, which was problematic
because many of the resources in that room are irreplaceable.  We do lock
the room and open it for those who sign in to use the room.  To combat the
problem of missing documents, we gave patrons the option of leaving their
bags with us behind the desk, or we allowed them to take their bags, but
only if they were willing to allow us to search them.  Most people had no
problem with this when we explained why we were doing it, although there
were a few people who weren't happy about it.  It did seem to eliminate the
problem, and we no longer have this procedure.

There really isn't a good answer to this question.  With the exception of
the Local History Room, I take solace in the fact that most popular
materials aren't particularly costly, and, since we are a member of SEO,
aren't even on the shelves when they are at the peak of their popularity.
 A certain amount of theft is simply the price of doing business.  You have
to ask yourself if the amount of theft taking place is really worth
alienating the 98% of your patrons who act according to your rules and
placing additional responsibility on the staff.  In the Local History Room
case that I mentioned, we did, but that is rather unusual for me.  You
can't out-policy the 2% who are always looking to take advantage of you.
 The best you can hope for is to minimize their impact on your library.

Best of luck-
Eric

--
Eric D. Taggart, Director