[OPLINLIST] Potentially dangerous library programs

Rikki Unterbrink unterbrink at blufftonpubliclibrary.org
Thu Apr 12 15:45:58 EDT 2012

Hello all!

Our library would like to host an off-site Humans versus Zombies event at
our local park that is potentially dangerous because it will involve
running around (fighting "zombies" or trying not to become one) and
shooting Nerf guns (gotta kill those zombies!). The game has been hugely
popular on several university campuses in our area and our Teen Advisory
Group would like to host one for high school kids in our area. What
experience do you have in hosting off-site library programs? Do you have
teens and/or adults sign a waiver before competing or rely on the library's
liability coverage? (We will not be providing equipment or transportation
for this event)

Also, is anyone else having a 'live' outdoor campfire for this year's
summer reading club? How are you balancing potential danger and laws in
your community?

Thanks!
Rikki Unterbrink
Youth Services Coordinator