[OPLINLIST] After hours policies

Karen Jensen kjensenmls at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 09:15:36 EDT 2012

Hi Sheena,

I really do recommend that you have parents/guardians and teens sign permission slips since this is an activity outside of normal business hours and there are some unique situations that may occur.

One of the things you will want to make sure and address is teens leaving the building any time during the night.  Most libraries will have on their permission slip something saying that any teen leaving can not be re-admitted into the after hours event.  The primary purpose of this is that you don't want teens using your event as cover to go out and do any untoward activities.  If you are having younger teens that don't drive themselves, you may also want to address who can pick them up to help prevent younger teens leaving with a friend.

The other information you will want to address is what to do in the case of an emergency and getting permission to have teens transported to a hospital should it be necessary.

A co-worker of mine recently wrote a blog post about lock-ins and I know she is getting ready to have one so if you contact her, she will probably give you a copy of her permission slip.  The blog post is here and I believe it has her e-mail address. http://www.teenlibrariantoolbox.com/2012/08/announcing-sunnydale-project-sept-1-oct.html

Thank you,
Karen

Karen Jensen, MLS
Teen Librarian Toolbox
www.teenlibrariantoolbox.com
Join #the2012project (info on blog)
@tlt16 on Twitter, also on Facebook and Pinterest
Youth Services Librarian, Betty Warmack Branch Library
Reviewer for VOYA magazine