[OPLINLIST] Ohio Literacy Network

David Brown dbrown at portagelibrary.org
Mon Aug 20 10:25:13 EDT 2012

I took this information from their web site back in May:

The Ohio Literacy Network concludes its service to communities across the state on June 30, 2012. It looks back proudly on 25 years of upholding the mission at its founding to promote the awareness of adult literacy issues and needs; to function as an advocate agency for adult learners and organizations; to encourage collaborative literacy efforts to maximize the impact of public and private funds available to address literacy needs; and to serve as a clearinghouse for exchange of literacy information.

The Ohio Literacy Network was founded as a membership organization on June 11, 1987.

In the fall of 2007, twenty years after its establishment, the Ohio Literacy Network Board of Trustees voted to amend the mission to reflect the growing need in the state to provide workforce development. The change coincided with a major shift in administration of Adult Basic Literacy Education (ABLE) from the Ohio Department of Education to the Ohio Board of Regents. The Ohio Literacy Network eventually lost base funding from ABLE in July 2009.

David B. Brown, Assistant Director
Portage County District Library
10482 South St.
Garrettsville, OH  44231-1116