[OPLINLIST] How do people feel about Libraries?

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Mon Dec 3 10:38:42 EST 2012

Dorothy A Sinclair

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: "Dorothy Sinclair" <dorothy at swonlibraries.org>
To: "SWON Info" <info at swonlibraries.org>
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2012 10:38:23 AM
Subject: How do people feel about Libraries?

If this email is not formatted properly please go to our website at SWON Libraries.org

When Lee Rainie spoke yesterday at SWON’s “Lunch, Learn and Membership Meeting,” he had good news to share from Pew Internet’s latest research: People still love libraries.

Like me, you may have heard people question the relevance of libraries for their own use. But this doesn’t mean those people think there’s no place for libraries. In Pew Internet’s nation-wide phone survey, virtually no one took the position that libraries aren’t important for their community. Your communities are rooting for you. They want you to succeed.
So how do you make the kind of progress that people on both sides of the reference desk want to see?

Talk to your peers. Share what you’re working on. What’s the latest challenge? What’s the latest success? SWON’s Open House is a great opportunity to do just that. Share your story while you have a drink and a look around our new office.
Talk to your customers. It’s okay to call them customers. Honest. What can you do to tell them about your services and improve your interactions? WebJunction has two great (and free) webinars coming up: “Outreach Programs in Rural Communities” on December 6, and a library customer service class that teaches the Disney approach to improving customer service.

We all want to move forward. Let's move forward together.

Come check us out on our calendar at http://tiny.cc/SWON-Calendar
Website, swonlibraries.org
Facebook Page SWON Libraries
Twitter at SWONlibraries

Tell us what you think and what you would like to see more from us.

Next SWON Libraries Event:

Open House - Kick-off 40thAnniversary Year -- December 18, 2012

Save the Date:

Summer Reading Programs,
Adult Webinar, January 30th
Teen Webinar Pt 1, February 6th
Teen Webinar Pt 2, February 20th
Teen Webinar Pt 3, February 26th
Children's in person workshop -- March (specific dates TBA)

Spring Support Staff Symposium, May 21st

Calendar Snippet

December 2012
Event 	Date 	Location
Returning Balance to Your Life Pt 1 	12/04/12 	On line
PLAPPN Meeting: Public Library Adult Program Planners Network 	12/05/12 	Clermont County Public Library Flannery Branch
Outreach Programs in Rural Communities: Simple Steps for Surprising Results 	12/06/12 	On line
Returning Balance to Your Life Pt 2 	12/06/12 	On line
Executive Board Meeting 	12/07/12 	SWON Libraries Conference Room
ELS Meeting (The Ethnic Librarians & Staff) SIG 	12/07/12 	Kenton County Public Library Erlanger Branch

Contact Information:
SWON Libraries Consortium
10250 Alliance Dr.
Suite 225