[OPLINLIST] RDA: Early results from SWON's survey

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Dec 6 12:42:38 EST 2012

If this email is not formatted properly please go to our website at SWON Libraries.org

Are you ready for RDA to replace AARC2? It's happening soon. The Library of Congress has been testing RDA, and they're ready to begin sending out cataloging records using RDA on March 31, 2013.

SWON is running a 6-question RDA survey through the end of the year to find out what preparations libraries have already made for the RDA transition and to see where people would like us to help.

The survey has only been open for a couple days, but so far we've had responses from 16 libraries. Of the 16, one is currently using RDA and another is planning to begin using it in 2013. The rest plan to use RDA at some unspecified time in the future.

About half of those responding had participated in RDA training already, most through a webinar or by using documentation on their own. No one said that they felt ready to start cataloging with RDA today. What topics would they like more training to cover? Every topic we listed in the survey. So far the picture of libraries' RDA plans isn't very clear.

We want to know how RDA looks from your point of view! Click the link below to fill out the survey and let us know what plans you've made and what kind of RDA training you would attend.

RDA Survey Link: http://tiny.cc/rda-survey

You can also visit the Library of Congress's resource page on RDA to : http://www.loc.gov/aba/rda/
Their page includes RDA news and training resources, including webcasts, exercises and examples. RDA is coming. Let's get ready together.

Come check us out on our calendar at http://tiny.cc/SWON-Calendar
Website, swonlibraries.org
Facebook Page SWON Libraries
Twitter at SWONlibraries

Tell us what you think and what you would like to see more from us.

Next SWON Libraries Event:

Open House - Kick-off 40th Anniversary Year -- December 18, 2012

Save the Date:

Summer Reading Programs,
Adult Webinar, January 30th
Teen Webinar Pt 1, February 6th
Teen Webinar Pt 2, February 20th
Teen Webinar Pt 3, February 26th
Children's in person workshop -- March 6th

Save the Date:

Spring Support Staff Symposium, May 21st

Calendar Snippet

December 2012

Event 	Date 	Location
(APS-SIG) Adult Planning and Services Meeting 	12/10/12 	Dayton Metro Library
Strategy For the Rest of Us 	12/11/12 	On line
Support Staff Committee Meeting 	12/11/12 	SWON Libraries Conference Room
What Would Walt Do? Quality Customer Service for Libraries 	12/12/12 	On line
Mind Mapping: What You Need to Know to Get Started 	12/13/12 	On line
CLEAR: Children's Literature Evaluation and Review Interest Group 	12/13/12 	Campbell Cty Public Library-Newport Branch
CLEAR: Children's Literature Evaluation and Review Interest Group 	12/14/12 	SWON Libraries Conference Room

Contact Information:
Melanie Blau
Dorothy Sinclair
Nathan Swartzendruber