[OPLINLIST] Looking for Historical Railroad Information

Gloria Malone gmalone at oplin.org
Mon Dec 10 09:54:07 EST 2012

I have a patron looking for a photo or additional information on a railroad depot that was located in Urbana, Ohio.  Lincoln's funeral train stopped at this station. It was a joint station and during the time frame in which it existed, the two railroads that used it were the Chicago, St. Louis and Pittsburgh Railway; and the New York, Lake Erie & Western Railroad (Erie Railroad) circa 1884 - 1890. In the earlier time frame of 1870- 1884 it was known as the Pittsburgh, Chicago, and St. Louis Railway; and the Atlantic and Great Western Railway.  We know it was gone by 1893.  It is included in a birds-eye view illustration of Urbana in 1872 and in the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.

Since the railroads ran through many Ohio towns, our patron is hoping that maybe someone located in a different part of the state may have information on this depot.  If you know of anyone that collects railroad memorabilia or may have information about this depot, please have them contact me.  Our patron has been in contact with Scott Trostel, the author of The Lincoln Funeral Train and has seen two books that cover railroad depots in Ohio.

Thank you in advance,
Gloria Malone