[OPLINLIST] Important information about US Cargo

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at library.ohio.gov
Thu Jan 19 16:26:53 EST 2012

Please forward to appropriate personnel at your library.

OhioLINK and the State Library of Ohio worked with the Department of
Administrative Services (DAS) in the spring of 2011 to release a joint
bid for statewide delivery services.  The existing vendor, US Cargo, won
the bid and began work under a new contract on July 1, 2011.

Prior to the new contract start date, US Cargo became a wholly owned
subsidiary of Pitt Ohio.  In June of 2011, Pitt Ohio conducted a major
reorganization of the US Cargo routes with the intent to make the system
more efficient.

The State Library, DAS, and OhioLINK recently received formal notice
from US Cargo cancelling their contract with the State of Ohio.  The
letter is dated January 5th, 2012 and provides a 60 day notice of
termination, as specified in the contract.

After multiple discussions and meetings between all parties, it has been
determined that rebidding the contract is our only option.  We cannot
legally renegotiate the terms of the current contract with US Cargo.
DAS is moving forward quickly to rebid the contract, but the timelines
will be very tight.  The US Cargo contract will end March 6, 2012. It is
highly possible that the price per stop will go up. How these new costs
will be funded is being explored.

We understand that this change will be a hardship. We are working
diligently to address the problem in a timely manner. We will keep you
informed throughout the process.

If you have any questions, please contact Steve Updegraff, Statewide
Delivery Project Manager.

Steve Updegraff, Head of Transport & Facility Services

State Library of Ohio

274 East 1st Ave.

Columbus, Ohio 43201

Phone: 614-728-9573

Fax: 614-995-1081

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney

Marketing & Communications Director

274 E. 1st Avenue

Columbus, OH 43201

Tel: 614-644-6875

Fax: 614-466-3584

www.library.ohio.gov <http://www.library.ohio.gov/>

  <http://www.facebook.com/people/StateLibraryof-Ohio/100000063363765>

Share Your Story at
http://library.ohio.gov/state-librarian/share-your-story
<http://library.ohio.gov/state-librarian/share-your-story>
Tell us how a State Library service or resource helped you or your
library.