[OPLINLIST] ccd bar code scanners

Morgan paulmo at oplin.org
Tue May 8 10:18:01 EDT 2012

I just won't buy the ccd scanners ever.   Those are the ones I am replacing
. They stop working sooner, the cables on them fray much faster, even in
slower traffic areas.

They cause staff frustration because they don't read nearly as fast the
eclipse model.

I also try for hands free so that I don't aggravate repetitive stress
conditions.

I used to buy all  Metrologic;  Honeywell has purchased Metrologic, so  now
I buy Honeywell.

If the budget is short and need something for a non high use area, this is
the model I get:

http://www.bayscan.com/metrologic-ms5145-eclipse.html

If I can spend the extra, I always go for:

http://www.bayscan.com/honeywell-ms9520.html  these last forever.  I very
rarely have one die.

(10 years or so are several that are in use now)

This is the model that we just started purchasing. (only one, only a month
old)

http://www.bayscan.com/honeywell-voyager-1200g.html

For scanning phone screens we have a couple of these:

http://www.bayscan.com/gryphon-4130.html  They work fine, but are only 2
years old. They haven't been through the long term abuse yet.  (no one has
ever asked us to scan a phone, only a few staff members have played with it)

We also have a couple of these:

http://www.bayscan.com/quickscan-mobile.html  We use these for inventory and
for places that cords get in the way and destroyed.  (bookmobile)

Morgan

Morgan Paul

Technology Coordinator

Ashtabula County District Library