[OPLINLIST] Genealogy software, for your consideration

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Fri Nov 2 12:40:35 EDT 2012

I started using  Family Tree Maker in the 2000's as our (then) board president
kept purchasing it and tree CD's for the library.
It was an okay program so I bought a new version each year until they mandated
PC's have Windows XP.

Not wanting to buy a new PC, I look and found Legacy 7.0 (in January 2009).
Downloaded the free version, loaded it in my Windows 2000 laptop and imported
the data.
Liked it,  so bought the full feature version for $29.95
Also obtained it for our library along with 9 training CD's.
Installed it on the patron PC's for use with USB memory sticks to save the data.

Just like FTM, every so often it needs an update. It's *Version 7.5.0.208***now.
Difference is, it's just been downloads and*free* for the past 3+ years.
So far, no need for a new PC.  Although my current laptop runs Vista.
Won it at the Lucas County Public Library (Toledo), but that's a different story.

Legacy 7 has very frequent online webinar's.
You can watch live, view later for a bit or purchase.
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Webinars.asp
Watched a few and find them helpful.
Just don't get hung up on the HOW in favor of the DOING.

For me the hardest part was sourcing, so I kept putting it off.
Now, after watching a few of the videos on the Auto Source feature, I began
doing it.
Starting with death certificates, then will do births & marriages, saving census
for last.
A neat thing with this feature is, it formats citations following recognized
standards.

Partial sample of the source detail entry page.
Looks like a lot of typing, but much is copied from familysearch.org, verified
and more added by viewing the certificate image.

There are a lot more bells and whistles in Legacy7 so it's probably best to
watch some of the free videos.
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Videos.asp

Watch the 9 training videos mentioned at the bottom for free in our library,
just bring your own headphones.

Bob

--
Email Signature