[OPLINLIST] People Counter Revisited

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Nov 29 16:19:01 EST 2012

Those prices seem pretty darned high for door counters! I didn't look that
closely at the specs, but for those prices, I'd expect them to do the
dishes too. 10,15 years ago, I seem to recall just picking one up off the
shelf at Radio Shack for under $100. Just a simple system that required a
power outlet and displayed the people count right on the device.

More recently, I installed one for one of my libraries that had a wireless
remote control that displayed the count. I doubt it cost more than $150,
and I'm fairly certain it was also a local retail purchase.

Unless it did some pretty neat tricks that I really couldn't live without
or you have a specific set of requirements, a $550 starting price seems a
bit steep for a door/people counter! You might consider looking to your
local retail stores first to see if they have something that might work.

2 cents.
*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*