[OPLINLIST] Digital Magazine and Newspaper Subscription Service information request

Sara Churchill SCHURCHILL at libraryvisit.org
Mon Oct 15 09:27:11 EDT 2012

Hello, Everyone on OPLIN:

Our library has recently received some patron requests to provide Zinio to the public.  A nearby library, Salem Public Library [http://www.salem.lib.oh.us/], in Columbiana County, OH, has begun offering this.  When it was announced on the news, the public heard "come or call your library to start receiving access to many magazines and newspapers on your mobile device."  They missed hearing exactly which library actually had the service available to their patrons.

Anyways, we are considering the possibility of subscribing to this type of service.  I was asked to discover what libraries already have this service, possible costs, and reviews.  I would greatly appreciate hearing from all of you that have these digital magazine/newspaper services:

What company/product did you choose?

Would you be able to provide any cost figures for the service?

Is the service in-library use only or also available for home-remote access on home computers and mobile devices?

Is the service working well for you?

Also, one of our patron requests is specific in a desire for Wall Street Journal digital access.
Do any of the digital magazine/newspaper subscription services include Wall Street Journal as one of their titles?
We already know it is not included in Zinio as the patron called the Salem Library and was told it is not included.

Please send email answers directly to me:
schurchill at libraryvisit.org

I will collate the answers and repost them to OPLIN.

Yours truly,

Sara Churchill
Information Services Librarian
Public Library of Youngstown & Mahoning County
305 Wick Avenue
Youngstown, OH 44503
www.libraryvisit.org
schurchill at libraryvisit.org