[OPLINLIST] Reading is a Teen Challenge

Dorothy Sinclair dorothy at swonlibraries.org
Wed Apr 3 16:36:51 EDT 2013

If this email is not formatted properly please go to our website at SWON Libraries.org

Another month has passed in the Teen Reading Challenge, and another thousand books have been logged. We've almost reached 2,400 books and we've now topped 700,000 pages read!

Part of the Challenge is writing a brief review for each book you've read. That's a daunting task for participants who don't feel that writing is their strength. Reviews, whether written or spoken, are a great opportunity to encourage patrons to read since choosing a book and choosing to read is a challenge for many people.

Here are a few tips picked up from Challenge reviews on ways you can talk to teens about a book:

1. Give a quick synopsis.
2. Tell what you loved about the book.
3. Describe how this book fits/expands a genre.
4. Relate it to another author/series or a TV show or movie.

Learn other ways to help your teens at the Staff Training Symposium, May 21st at Dayton Metro Public Library. Get more details and register here: http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=334

Retention and the Returning Adult Student & Special Populations

Join your academic colleagues as we discuss the factors affecting retention of adult students and other special populations. What are the factors affecting these groups? What can we do to help? Measuring effectiveness of our efforts.

This is Session Two of Five focusing on student retention. You may attend any/all of the sessions. Register here.

Come check us out on our calendar at http://tiny.cc/SWON-Calendar

Website, swonlibraries.org

Facebook Page SWON Libraries

Twitter at SWONlibraries

Tell us what you think and what you would like to see more from us.

Save the Date
ALA Virtual Conference (Day 1)- July 24, 2013
ALA Virtual Conference (Day 2) -July 25, 2013
18th Annual Picture Book Read In - August 2, 2013

Calendar Snippet

April 2013

Event

Date

Location

OverDrive and E - Readers: Keeping It Simple For Your Users

4/4/13

On line

ELS (SIG) Meeting

4/5/13

University of Cincinnati - Blue Ash College

Computers in Libraries 2013

4/8/13 4/10/13

Hilton Washington, Washington, DC

Support Staff Committee (Field Trip) Meeting

4/9/13

SWON Libraries - Dayton Metro Library

Building Library Friends Groups That Keep Their Eye on the Prize

4/9/13

On line

Models for Future Library Services

4/11/13

On line

CLEAR: Children's Literature Evaluation and Review Interest Group

4/11/13

SWON Libraries Conference Room

CLEAR: Children's Literature Evaluation and Review Interest Group

4/12/13

SWON Libraries Conference Room

Executive Board Meeting

4/12/13

Rookwood Tower, Hoffman Room

Retention and the Returning Adult Student & Special Populations

4/15/13

Art Institute of Ohio

Contact Information:

SWON Libraries Consortium