[OPLINLIST] Libraries don't give up

Dorothy Sinclair dorothy at swonlibraries.org
Thu Apr 18 16:47:07 EDT 2013

At the Computers in Libraries conference last week I heard a researcher talk about a book/ebook he co-authored with a paleoanthropologist named Lee Berger. Berger had walked the hills around Johannesburg for 17 years and only found 7 fossil fragments. Almost ready to give up, he stumbled upon Google Earth and used its satellite imagery to look for topography that didn't fit. He found stands of trees that might be the sign of collapsed caves. Searching those areas on foot uncovered two complete skeletons of a previously-unknown species!

Those discoveries changed the field and challenged the linear narrative they'd been writing. With new discoveries taking place even last week, they're working to balance their desire for narrative with their desire to include new data.

This story keeps getting more difficult to tell, which is a common complaint of students who are working on research papers . When new sources challenge the linear narrative they'd been constructing, they don't know how to include information that branches off in new directions.

Challenging linear thinking is an important job of libraries , whether they're in a school or business setting. Just like researchers gain new insight from considering different points of view, we gain new insight when we talk with librarians who work in different settings.

At SWON's Regional Spring Luncheon , you'll get to participate in a World Cafe, where you'll share with and hear from librarians from academic, school, public and private libraries. Yes, people from all four of these library types have already signed up. Together, you'll bring new perspectives to the challenges you face. Sign up today: http://tiny.cc/spring_cafe

Come check us out on our calendar at http://tiny.cc/SWON-Calendar

Website and blog, swonlibraries.org

Facebook Page SWON Libraries

Twitter at SWONlibraries
Save The Date

ALA Virtual Conference (Day 1)- July 24, 2013

ALA Virtual Conference (Day 2) -July 25, 2013

18th Annual Picture Book Read In - August 2, 2013
Calendar Snippet
April 2013

Event
	Date 	Location
2013 OMA Annual Conference 	4/20/13 - 4/22/13 	Sandusky Ohio
The Tenth Annual Copyright Conference 	4/24/13 	Ball State University, Muncie, IN
Every Child Ready to Read - 2nd Edition 	4/24/13 	PLCH - Main Library Downtown
Take 5, Take Two 	4/24/13 	Allen County Museum & Lima Public Library
An Introduction to the LSSC Program 	4/24/13 	On line
Conversations with Graduates 	4/25/13 	On line
Train the Trainer: Fundamentals of Adult Education for People Who Train Others 	4/25/13 	On line
Outreach (SIG) Meeting 	4/26/13 	PLCH - Main Library Downtown
MS Word I 	4/29/13 	Boone Co. KY Public Library Main
Preparing a Portfolio 	4/29/13 	On line
Making Your Organization a Learning Organization 	4/30/13 	On line Contact Information

Contact Information:
SWON Libraries
10250 Alliance Rd.
Suite 225