[OPLINLIST] Information Regarding the OCI Yearbook Project

Cain, Beverly BCain at library.ohio.gov
Wed Aug 28 16:30:43 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

A couple of weeks ago, I was contacted by Oklahoma Correctional Industries (OCI) with an offer to digitize yearbooks for Ohio libraries and schools at no cost.  After the phone call, they sent a follow-up email that included references.  They then began contacting Ohio libraries directly and over the past week or so,  several people have contacted me with questions.  It took some time for me to connect with the State Librarian of Oklahoma, but I have finally spoken with her.  I have also followed up with the references provided by OCI.

Here is some information that may be helpful for you to consider as you make your decision regarding entering into an agreement with OCI:

1)      They are exactly what they claim to be:  a part of Oklahoma's state government that, among other things, provides digitization services for state government agencies.  The work is done by inmates in Oklahoma's prison system.  We have a similar agency in Ohio's state government and they do a wide variety of things but I do not believe they are providing digitization services.

2)     Their work has been described as good by their references and by Oklahoma's State Librarian.  They will scan the yearbooks you send to them and then return the yearbooks along with discs containing the scanned copies just as they have promised to do.  This will be done at no cost to you

3)     Some libraries in Ohio and other states have expressed a concern that having this work done by the prison population might lead to inmates obtaining people's names, which might lead to contact later.  The work is done in a controlled environment but I am not sure that you can rule this out with a 100% degree of certainty.

4)     Apparently, OCI has an agreement with a company that is receiving a copy of every yearbook that is scanned and using the information for a fee based service that connects people to information about fellow students.

If you have questions about privacy and/or how the scanned information might be used, I suggest that you discuss these concerns in detail with OCI prior to entering into an agreement with them.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you,
Beverly

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CEA40B.F2915790]
Beverly L. Cain
State Librarian
274 E. 1st Avenue
Columbus, OH 43201
Tel: 614-644-6843
Fax: 614-466-3584
library.ohio.gov<http://library.ohio.gov>
[cid:image004.png at 01CEA40B.F2915790]<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOhio>  [Description: Twitter logo - links to the State Library of Ohio's Twitter page] <http://twitter.com/statelibohio>   [Description: Blog logo - Links to the State Library of Ohio's blog] <http://library.ohio.gov/blog/>   [cid:image009.png at 01CEA40B.F2915790] <http://pinterest.com/stlibohio/>
Share Your Story<http://library.ohio.gov/state-librarian/share-your-story> by telling us how a
State Library service or resource helped
you or your library.