[OPLINLIST] Reinventing the Introduction

Dorothy Sinclair dorothy at swonlibraries.org
Thu Feb 21 13:05:12 EST 2013

If this email is not formatted properly please go to our website at SWON Libraries.org
When Apple updates a product, they tell a story.

They explain how they developed new features, took risks, listened to customers. Sure, it's all a sales pitch. But through the story, they're explaining why this version is great, why it's better than the last one and why you should consider buying.

Libraries could take a page from stories like this one. Lots of people in your community don't go to the library. They assume they know what the library offers, and it's not what they need. Students, parents, colleagues, teens--they need to hear a new story about libraries to convince them to come visit.

Your turn. Create a new library story, and we'll help you tell it. Send in your story idea by March 15th . Our panel of judges will choose the best idea, give the winner $250, and SWON will turn it into a short video. What have libraries learned? What do our patrons care about? What are we proud of? Tell us: http://www.swonlibraries.org/content/new-library-story-contest We'll spread the word.

Upcoming: SWON's Spring Staff Training Symposium

(Formerly named the Support Staff Symposium) May 21, 2013 at Dayton Metro Library .
Keynote speaker and breakout sessions on internal and external Customer Service .
We're excited to be restarting our Spring symposium. More info soon, but for now, save the date!

Come check us out on our calendar at http://tiny.cc/SWON-Calendar

Website, swonlibraries.org

Facebook Page SWON Libraries

Twitter at SWONlibraries

Tell us what you think and what you would like to see more from us.

Last Chance to sign up for the Summer Reading Workshops

Wednesday March 6, 2013 – Half Day, Come join us at the Union Township Branch Library in Clermont County and share in the ideas that your neighboring libraries are doing.

Monday March 11, 2013 – All Day, Come and join us at the Washington Centerville Public Library and share your ideas plus learn how to play a Baritone Ukulele.

Calendar Snippet
February 2013
Event 	Date 	Location
Library Directors/Personnel Directors SIG 	2/22/2013 	SWON Conference Room
Outreach (SIG) Meeting 	2/22/2013 	SWON Conference Room
MS PowerPoint 2007 	2/25/2013 	Boone County Public Library Main Branch
Models for Future Library Services 	2/26/2013 	On line
Teen Summer Reading Webinar 	2/27/2013 	On line
ILIG Meeting (SIG) 	2/28/2013 	Xavier University
Increasing the Appeal of Digital Signage in Your Library 	2/28/2013
On line

Contact Information:
SWON Libraries Consortium
10250 Alliance Dr.