[OPLINLIST] Book Reviews You Can Use

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed May 1 12:55:20 EDT 2013

Today is May 1st, the official end of the Teen Reading Challenge for 2013. With several thousand books already read, 2/3rds of the way through, I’m excited to see the final numbers. But the numbers themselves are actually small news.

I’m more excited by what people learned in this concentrated reading period. We made a bigger push this year for Challengers to write reviews when they reported the books they’d read. After all, expecting someone to remember the details of 50 books is a stretch today, let alone six months from now.

Since Challenge teams share a LibraryThing account, they can already see the reviews written by the other members of their teams. That’s their information to use and build on however they choose. (I’ll send them a few of my ideas as the Challenge wraps up, too.)

I’m the one who gets to bring everyone’s data together. Yes, to see who read the most. But also to see what books were read the most and liked the best. I’m going further, too: Compiling everyone’s reviews into a single document that librarians can use as a reference guide. Teams can do this with their own reviews for free, naturally. Our fully-compiled guide will cost $10 as a PDF that you can download and print yourself or $25 for a printed-and-bound version from SWON (includes the PDF download).

That Reader’s Guide will be a lot of work to put together, so at the moment we’re saying it will be available “Summer 2013.” I’ll share more news as work progresses, but I’m excited to help people share what they’ve learned.

Nathan Swartzendruber,
SWON Technology Educator

Connect to SWON online: Website : Calendar : Facebook : Twitter
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. Click event titles for more information.

    * Not Your Typical Diversity Training: Moving Past Political Correctness to Culture - (5/2/13) - Online
    * Friends of the Public Library Used Book Sale - (5/2/13 to 5/4/13) - PLCH, Blue Ash Branch
    * Ethnic Librarians and Staff (SIG) Meeting - (5/3/13) - Operation Give Back, Blue Ash
    * Creating a Concierge Service at Your Library (Academic Retention Series, Session III) - (5/6/13) - Thomas More College Library
    * Yes, Thank You! I’d Love to Do More! - (5/7/13) - Online
    * SOCHE Library Conference, “Transitions in Learning: Preparing Engaged Students for the E - Learning Environment” - (5/8/13) - Wright State University, Nutter Center
    * Overcoming Your Fears of Being Successful, Part 1 - (5/9/13) - Online
    * What Libraries Need To Know To Help Local Businesses Succeed - (5/14/2013) - Online
    * ROYAL Reviews (SIG) Meetings - (5/14/2013) - SWON & Boone County Public Library

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Rd, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463