[OPLINLIST] ALAO Diversity Spring Workshop

Diane Kolosionek d.kolosionek44 at csuohio.edu
Tue May 28 13:22:53 EDT 2013

2013 Diversity Spring Workshop

 <http://www.alaoweb.org/events?eventId=649311&EventViewMode=EventDetails>
Registration is now open for the ALAO (Academic Library Association of Ohio)
Diversity Committee's Spring Workshop!

Date: Friday, June 14, 2013

Time: 10:00 AM - 3:45 PM

Check-in begins at 9:30 AM

Location:  <http://www.ohionet.org/directions> OHIONET, 1500 West Lane
Avenue, Columbus, OH  43221

Cost: $25.00 for ALAO members; $35.00 for non-members.

Lunch will be provided.

Seating is limited. Registration deadline is Wednesday, June 12, 2013.

Four sessions will be presented by members of the
<http://www.lib.umich.edu/library-diversity-committee> University of
Michigan Library Diversity Council:

Library Diversity Committees, The Basics

We will provide an overview of the University of Michigan Library Diversity
Council including history, committee organization, purpose and activities.
We will share the story of our success and challenges, our experience with
organizing the committee (and the by-laws which govern the organization) for
maximum effectiveness. We will discuss the evolution of our mission and
purpose over time and where we stand today. We will offer concrete
suggestions and the benefit of our experience in how you can plan and
implement diversity within your organization.

Making the Case for a Diversity Committee!

We will discuss why an academic library might benefit from a diversity
committee and some ways to build a case for library administration. We will
discuss the advantage of diversity and seeking to understand other voices,
which broadens our perspective, as collection managers, public service
providers, technology experts, administrators, etc. We will also discuss how
diversity develops leadership through advocacy.

Engaging Staff through Innovative Programs

There is an amazing array of possible programs that can be done
inexpensively or even free. We will go into greater depth about the
programming done by U-M LDC. This includes our approach to programming, as
well as the factors that inform what we do, how we develop it, and how
changing council membership influences it. We will discuss both one-time
programs (speakers, discussion panels, film screenings, and events), as well
as recurring programs (book clubs, current event discussions, our annual
Diversity Celebration, and a long-running workshop that promotes respect and
inclusion within the organization). U-M LDC will address strategies to
maximize impact of diversity programming and methods to improve staff
engagement. This session will demonstrate how diversity programming can
support and influence the changing culture of your institution.

Getting out the Word

How do you communicate what the committee is doing? We will describe our
communication plan and strategies for getting the word out.  These include
developing a brand, building upon existing library communication channels as
well as developing our own external network which successfully utilizes
social media, live tweeting of events, etc.

One session will be presented by Eileen Theodore-Shusta, Director of
Planning, Assessment and Org. Effectiveness, Ohio University Libraries:

Diversity Internships for Undergraduates and LAMP

Learn about ways to establish an internship program for undergraduates from
underrepresented populations.  Established in 2009, the Libraries have
hosted 1-2 interns each year since.  The presenter will describe the
background of how her organization began exploring internship options, the
LAMP program, some of the interns they hosted, and lessons learned.

For more information, see the
<http://www.alaoweb.org/committees/diversity/spring-workshop> Diversity
Spring Workshop page.

I hope to see you there!

Diane Kolosionek

Chair, ALAO Diversity Committee

--

Diane Kolosionek

Education, Political Science, & Urban Affairs Librarian

Michael Schwartz Library, RT 110D

Cleveland State University

(216) 802-3358

 <mailto:d.kolosionek44 at csuohio.edu> d.kolosionek44 at csuohio.edu