[OPLINLIST] The Collective Insight series continues--Bring your perspective to the discussion!

Shelly Miller shellym at ohionet.org
Mon Sep 16 15:54:24 EDT 2013

*Please excuse any cross-postings.*

Knowing that none of us is as strong or as smart as all of us together,
OHIONET and OCLC are pleased to continue their discussion series,
Collective Insight: Driven by Shared Data.  Acting on this basic concept of
collaboration, this series of free events aims to bring librarians of all
types together to learn and chat about the broad issues that impact
libraries and the work that we do.

To bring this event to as many of our members as possible, OHIONET has
created TWO ways for folks to participate--in-person or online.  So, even
if you can’t make the drive to Lane Avenue, you don’t have to miss out.
For those that can and do make the drive to OHIONET’s offices, refreshments
will be provided.

Consider joining us for either (or both!) of these upcoming discussions...

“Big Data and the Cloud” with Mike Teets and Matt Goldner

We've been hearing a LOT lately about the concepts of 'big data' and
'linked data' and how these ideas may come to revolutionize how we
understand and interact with each other.  In the latest installment of the
Collective Insight series, Mike Teets and Matt Goldner, authors of
"Libraries' Role in Curating and Exposing Big Data," will discuss OCLC's
WorldCat database and how it is working to become a relevant and useful
source in the Web of big data and cloud computing.  Attendees will hear how
OCLC has begun work on the knowledge graph for this data and OCLC's active
involvement with Schema.org in working to make this data useful throughout
the Web.

*When*:  Thursday, Oct. 3rd, 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

*Where*:  Attend in-person or online!

*Cost:  $0*

CLICK HERE <http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=162&reset=1> for
more information and registration options.

“Clear Pictures from Complex Data” with Noah Iliinsky

Data, data everywhere--but what do we *do* with it all.  Today we are
swimming in data, more than ever, and it's only getting worse.  Rather than
treating data like that big box of pictures and papers hiding in the
closet--the one that's possibly full of gems but no one wants to slog
through it to find them--learn how to use data to tell an effective story
and spark insights.  In this installment of our Collective Insight series,
attendees will hear from Noah Iliinsky, Visualization Expert at IBM's
Center for Advanced Visualization, co-author of Designing Data
Visualizations, and editor/contributor to Beautiful Visualization from
O’Reilly Media about best practices in creating effective visualizations of
your data and how to make the best use of your data's stories in
intentionally crafted communications.

*When*:  Monday, Oct. 21st, 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM (Lunch will be provided!)

*Where*:  Attend in-person or online!

*Cost:  $0*

CLICK HERE <http://ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=164> for more
information and registration options.

If you have questions or suggestions about these or any of OHIONET's other
CE options, please contact...
Shelly S. Miller
Continuing Education Coordinator
OHIONET