[OPLINLIST] Share Your Two Cents--Join OHIONET & OCLC for the next installment of the Collective Insight Series

Shelly Miller shellym at ohionet.org
Thu Sep 26 15:43:55 EDT 2013

*Please excuse cross-postings.*

The next session in our on-going Collective Insight Series, "Big Data and
the Cloud" with Mike Teets and Matt Goldner, is just under a week away and
will cover topics we've been hearing a lot about lately in the library
world:  big data and linked data.  Scheduled for next Thursday afternoon
(Oct. 1), our event kicks off at 2:00 PM with a live-streaming session
where the presenters, authors of "Libraries' Role in Curating and Exposing
Big Data," will discuss OCLC's WorldCat database and how it is working to
become a relevant and useful source in the Web of big data and cloud
computing. Attendees will hear how OCLC has begun work on the knowledge
graph for this data and OCLC's active involvement with Schema.org in
working to make this data useful throughout the Web.

After the livestreaming event concludes, attendees will discuss
implications of the presenters' remarks for their own institutions and
how these
ideas may come to revolutionize how we understand and interact with each
other.

To bring this event to as many of our members as possible, OHIONET has
created TWO ways for folks to participate--in-person or online.  So, even
if you can’t make the drive to Lane Avenue, you don’t have to miss out.
For those that can and do make the drive to OHIONET’s offices, refreshments
will be provided.

*When*:  Thursday, Oct. 3rd, 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

*Where*:  Attend in-person or online!

*Cost:  $0*

CLICK HERE <http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?id=162&reset=1> for
more information and registration options.

If you have questions or suggestions about any of OHIONET's CE offerings,
please contact....
Shelly S. Miller
Continuing Education Coordinator
OHIONET