[OPLINLIST] Heartbleed - hopefully you've heard about it by now

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Apr 10 14:05:19 EDT 2014

This one is serious, folks. If you haven't heard about the security
vulnerability nicknamed "Heartbleed", you need to Google it and educate
yourself.

It was announced on Monday and, while it's up to the IT people to fix the
bug, it greatly affects us as users. It is very strongly advised to change
your passwords ASAP after each web site operator has fixed the
vulnerability. Google, Yahoo!, and many of the big names have already fixed
it. Hopefully financial companies have all fixed it as well by now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=heartbleed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbleed_bug

FWIW, there are so many security vulnerabilities that are discovered on
such a frequent basis that I don't bother getting excited about them and
mentioning them. However, I've made an exception in this case.

I'd suggest starting with your financial websites:  banks, credit card
companies, investment banks, etc.  Then move onto your Gmail, Yahoo!, MSN
mail, etc. accounts. Then the rest.

Huge PIA, but I value my money and identity. I don't wan't it taken from me.

*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*