[OPLINLIST] Why Ask Why?

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Apr 24 16:47:14 EDT 2014

Part of planning a project is answering the question, */Why/ are we
doing this?* You think about who it’s going to help and how it will help
them. You might have specific users in mind, especially if the project
developed out of individual requests.

That’s a good question to answer. Here’s another: *Why are are we doing
/this/ project?* How did we decide that this project has priority over
other projects? Is it because of the person who asked for it? Is it
because we just discovered the problem or like the solution? Is it
because it will make a difficult task easier for a large number of
patrons? To answer that last question especially, you have to know about
what your users need and do.

      It’s Time for Research

When we think about research, it’s easy to imagine a large-scale study
with a big budget, long time-frame and consultants. Those aren’t
requirements. You don’t need a statistically significant sample size,
but you do want to hear from different perspectives. You don’t need to
prove a theory, but you do want to justify your work to your boss (or
your board) and your patrons.

That’s what I like about the book, /Just Enough Research/
<http://www.abookapart.com/products/just-enough-research>, by Erika
Hall. She debunks myths about research (it’s not asking people what they
like) and talks frankly about its challenges and benefits. She tells
readers about different types of research and how to choose research
methods that fit a given project and practical steps to conduct that
research. At just 154 pages, it’s also a quick book to read.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

      Data Driven

At SWON’s Spring Luncheon, we’re bringing in two speakers from Tim
Diamond and Anastasia Diamond-Ortiz from Cleveland Public Library to
talk about Data-Driven Innovation. *Why are we hosting /this/ talk?*
Because you have a seat at the table–you’re part of the decision-making
progress. When you’re advocating for your students or faculty or staff
or patrons, data helps you choose which projects to pursue and support
why /your project/ deserves attention and resources.

They’re coming from a public library, but Tim and Anastasia are adapting
their work for academic, private and school libraries too. Hear their
take at SWON’s Spring Luncheon and Membership Meeting, May 20:
http://bit.ly/data-driven-mtg.

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/eventcalendar.aspx> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Academic Librarian (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=888>* -
    (4/24/2014) - Art Institute of Ohio
  * *Improving Your Organizational Skills – Learning Your “Space
    Personality”
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=901>* -
    (4/24/2014) - Online
  * *Library Director/Personnel Director (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=926>* -
    (4/24/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Simple Storytelling: A How-To for Children’s Librarian
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=904>* -
    (4/29/2014) - Online
  * */Level-Up Lab: Introducing Cloud Services
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=1925>/* -
    (4/29/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Improving Your Organizational Skills – Dealing with Your Desk,
    Calendar and Files
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=917>* -
    (5/1/2014) - Online
  * *Instruction Librarians (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=897>* -
    (5/5/2014) - Southern State Community College, Wilmington
  * *Collection Management Policies
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=919>* -
    (5/6/2014) - Online
  * *ROYAL Book Review (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=732>* -
    (5/9/2014) - Kenton County PL, Covington Branch

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org<http://www.swonlibraries.org>
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events