[OPLINLIST] Library Staff and First Amendment

John K. Chidester jchidest at knox.net
Tue Apr 29 15:35:42 EDT 2014

Hello, Oplinland!  We've had a modest controversy opened up by a patron who
tried to engage one of our circ desk staff in a political discussion.  She
didn't want to participate, but instead of saying so, told him she wasn't
allowed to discuss such things.  Next thing I knew, I was getting e-mail
from the patron, accusing me of tyranny.  My response to him (briefly,
quoting our policy: "Library staff may discuss political or religious
subjects, issues and concerns among themselves, but active promotion of
political or religious positions, activities or organizations to other staff
or the general public is prohibited.  Any employee who feels that he or she
has been the target of unwanted proselytization should discuss this concern
with his or her immediate supervisor, Department Head or the Library
Director.") did not mollify him.  He sent a broadcast e-mail to our local
newspaper, city officials, county prosecutor and commissioners, et. al.,
decrying my tyranny (yes, he used the word "tyranny").

How do you all handle situations like this?  How do your written policies
address the issue?  Does anyone NOT have a policy restricting staff speech
during working hours?  Care to share how that works?

Thanks in advance,

John Chidester, Tyrant

Public Library of Mount Vernon & Knox County