[OPLINLIST] The Teen Reading Challenge is back for 2015!

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Tue Dec 23 16:41:37 EST 2014

Buy a wall calendar and a giant red marker so you can circle February
1st. That's when you can start reading as many books as you can manage
before April 30th.

    Hashtag team name, hashtag FTW

As in previous years, the Challenge is a team competition. Form a group
of three or more people and give yourselves a name. Log all the books
you read, and at the end of April, I'll calculate how many pages per
team member y'all read.

That is, a team of 3 people who reads 30,000 pages total has read an
average of 10,000 pages per person. The same is true of a team of 30
people who read 300,000 pages. The team with the highest
average-pages-read-per-person wins!

    What's new: GoodReads

This year, we're making the move from LibraryThing to GoodReads. I've
heard from a lot of you that you use GoodReads already, and it should be
easier to use and manage.

Your appointed-by-you team captain will create a private GoodReads
group. Then either your captain can invite you by email, or you can
search for your group on GoodReads and join. Just add books to that
group as you read them. I'll join the groups too so that I can crunch
the numbers and chart your progress.

    Registration now open

Already know that you'll participate? Already have your team name
chosen? You can sign up today
<http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=578352&group=>! To
sign up, you'll first need a SWON website account, but that's free for
anyone to create and easily done. Create your SWON site account here
<http://swonlibraries.org/?page=Register>.

We can't wait to see how high a stack of books you can read. Teams,
start your scheming-on-reading!

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

    Computers in Libraries Discount

Computers in Libraries isn't until April this year, but if your system's
internal processes means signing paperwork before the end of the year
would make it easier to attend, act now!

SWON Supporting Members can register for the full 3-day conference for
$319. That's $230 less than the standard rate. We'll be in the office
December 29th and 30th, next week, if you need help with the details.
And if you have questions about the conference itself, talk to Nathan.
He's attended several of them.
Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_list.asp> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * Have a great holiday!
  * Christmas Break - SWON Office Closed - (12/24–12/25/2014)
  * New Year's Break - SWON Office Closed - (12/31-1/1/2015)

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events