[OPLINLIST] Calling all public librarians--time is running out to Get with Geek the Library. But, OHIONET can help!

Shelly Miller shellym at ohionet.org
Mon Jan 27 09:51:41 EST 2014

*Please excuse any cross-postings.*

Developing and maintaining connections with the communities we serve is a
critical component of our work as information professionals.  The more we
know about the needs and aspirations of our community members, the more
effective and responsive the services and resources we provide can be.  But
where we often struggle is in clearly communicating our value, especially
to infrequent or non-users of the library.

Here’s what we know for sure:  fostering conversations is the key.  And,
there's a great program available for public libraries to help do just
that--Geek the Library.  An awareness campaign project open to all public
libraries across the U.S., Geek the Library is sponsored by OCLC, with
funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and provides
participants with FREE promotional materials and structured, one-on-one
guidance on how to conduct a campaign in their communities.  Many
successful Geek the Library
campaigns<http://geekthelibrary.org/about/libraries.html>have been
conducted across the state in the last few years, with libraries
of all sizes taking part and reaping the benefits. That’s the good news.
 The bad news?  The grant funding cycle that has made Geek the Library
possible is coming to an end, with the last enrollments taking place no
later than this June.

If you want to have a chance to take part in this wonderful, FREE program,
sign-up to join OHIONET for our upcoming webinar,

*WHAT*: *Get with Geek the
Library*<http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=176>
*WHEN*: Wednesday, Feb. 19th, 10:30AM to 11:30AM
*WHERE*: Live, ONLINE with Citrix GoToWebinar
*CLICK HERE* <http://www.ohionet.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=176> for
registration options.

*Remember*--OHIONET workshops and webinars are FREE to Premium Membership
libraries.  Not sure what membership level your library maintains?  Contact
us <shellym at ohionet.org>--we're happy to help.

During this webinar, participants will

   - hear from Geek the Library program leaders, Karen Austin & Tina
   Yersavich, direct from OCLC
   - learn about the structure and proven principles that make Geek the
   Library work
   - see examples of successful campaigns that have been conducted all
   around the country
   - find out how to sign up to bring the Geek the Library experience to
   your community

If you have questions <shellym at ohionet.org> about or
suggestions<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1s7iXT9AwEfaVt4cjUF5RA4SHR4ixOGM1_HVdArx7maw/viewform>for
OHIONET's CE offerings, don't hesitate to contact me.

Shelly S. Miller
Continuing Education Coordinator
OHIONET
 1500 West Lane Avenue