[OPLINLIST] RFP: $2500 Maker Space Grant from SWON

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Fri Jan 31 14:56:41 EST 2014

    Announcing SWON’s Maker Space Grant

SWON is awarding $2,500 to fund a Maker Space in a SWON Supporting
Member’s library. You can read the details, including the RFP, here:
http://www.swonlibraries.org/Maker_Space_Grant.

Yes, you could buy a 3D printer, and considering how fast 3D printer
prices have fallen, a good bit more. But applying for the grant involves
more than an equipment shopping list. Here is a quick run-down of the
requirements:

  * Along with listing what services your Maker Space would provide,
    describe the outcome(s) these services would achieve and how you
    will measure that.
  * Develop the project in collaboration with another department or
    organization.
  * Explain how the Maker Space will be open to the entire community
    supported by the library.
  * Show that the proposed Maker Space will have adequate staffing,
    adequate staff training and a working plan to support your stated
    outcomes.

These requirements aren’t there to make the application process
difficult. They’re there to help your Maker Space serve your community
well.

We want to help you write a great proposal. If you have questions about
the grant, please read the RFP thoroughly and then contact us. We’re
excited to read about the Maker Space you want to build in 2014.

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

    Sign Up for the Teen Reading Challenge!

It’s not too late to join the Teen Reading Challenge. Our sign-up form
closes shop today (It doesn’t let people register for an event that’s
already begun. The nerve!), but Nathan will gladly sign you up after
February 1st. Just email him with your name, preferred email address and
team name.

In the Challenge, reading is the contest and the reward. We’re glad to
keep this /free/ event going. Round up some readers and join us:
http://tiny.cc/trc2014.

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/eventcalendar.aspx> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *2014 Teen Reading Challenge - Launch!
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=821>* -
    (2/1/2014) - Online
  * *Summer Reading Program Webinar: Teens, Part I
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=779>* -
    (2/4/2014) - Online
  * *Dealing With Death and Grief in the Workplace
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=856>* -
    (2/4/2014) - Online
  * *Ebook Merchandising
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=875>* -
    (2/5/2014) - Online
  * *Developing the Art of Supervising, Part 2
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=851>* -
    (2/6/2014) - Online
  * *Academic Librarians (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=874>* -
    (2/6/2014) - Gateway Community and Technical College, Edgewood
  * *E-Rate Webinar, Form 471
    <http://www.neo-rls.org/ce/eventregister.cfm?ID=7319&class=unonMember>*
    - (2/7/2014) - Online/!/
  * *Summer Reading Program Webinar: Teens, Part 2
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=780>* -
    (2/11/2014) - Online
  * *Unleashing Your Inner Genius
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=857>* -
    (2/11/2014) - Online
  * *School Librarians (SIG) Meeting
    <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/EventDetails.aspx?EventId=860>* -
    (2/12/2014) - Bronte Cafe at Joseph-Beth Booksellers
  * *Street Lit and Libraries <http://tiny.cc/Infopeople-StreetLit>* -
    (2/12/2014) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events