[OPLINLIST] register TODAY for the NEO-RLS/SLIS Summer Youth Services Symposium!

Cunningham, Flo fcunning at kent.edu
Tue Jul 8 11:49:24 EDT 2014

REMINDER - register today for the Aug. 5 Summer Youth Services Symposium co-sponsored by the School of Library and Information Science and NEO-RLS, and held at Kent State University.

Authors Steve Sheinkin and Julie Cummins are keynote speakers at this year's Summer Symposium. (See details below.) Sessions include Common Core Apps, Weeding Non-Fiction and eBooks, Research as Detective Work (presented by Steve Sheinkin), and Emerging Technologies. Updates on the latest children's and YA titles will also be featured.

Lunch is included. A book signing will be held during the lunch break.

Register here: http://www.viethconsulting.com/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=29423

Event Name:

Summer Library Symposium

Event Type(s):

Children<http://www.memberleap.com/~neol/events_feed_by_track.php?q=223>
Teen<http://www.memberleap.com/~neol/events_feed_by_track.php?q=224>

Geographic Member/Other Cost:  $75
Full/CE Member Cost:               $75

Our Featured author is Steve Sheinkin, the award-winning author of several exciting books on American history for young adults.

Event Date:

08-05-14

Event Time:

9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Location:

Kent State University
Student Center/ Governance Chambers
1085 Risman Drive
Kent, OH 44242

Contact Person:

Melissa Lattanzi<mailto:lattanzm at neo-rls.org>
(phone: 330-655-0531)

Details:

His 2012 title Bomb: The Race To Build And Steal The World's Most Dangerous Weapon, was awarded a Newbery Honor, won the Sibert Medal, the YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults, and was a finalist for the National Book Award. His book The Notorious Benedict Arnold won both the YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction and the Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for nonfiction. His most recent titles are Lincoln's Grave Robbers, a true-crime thriller, and El Iluminado, a graphic novel written with Ilan Stavans. Steve lives in Saratoga Springs, NY.>
Morning Breakouts:

  *   Children's Literature Update:
Presented by: Amanda Hoover, NEO-RLS
This will be an update on the latest and greatest K-6 literature that is available to school librarians.
  *   Common Core Aps :
Presented by Marianne Martens, KSU SLIS
  *   Research as Detective Work:
Presented by Steve Sheinkin
Often during school visits, while I'm describing the labor intensive process of finding and researching stories for my books, a student will say, "So, you do homework for a living?" I've learned to counter the charge by telling students that what I do is really more like detective work. In this workshop, I'll go through the step-by-step process I use to research stories, and try to make the case that the process of researching a true story is very similar to that of following clues to solve a mystery.
Afternoond Breakouts:

  *   Young Adult Literature Update:
Presented by: Christina Getrost, Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library and Mary Anne Nichols, Lecturer, KSU/SLIS
This will be an update on the latest and greatest Young Adult (grades 7-12) literature that is available to school librarians.
  *   Weeding Non-Fiction and eBooks - Yes You Can and Yes You SHOULD!
presented by Belinda Boon, Assistant Professor Kent State University School of Library & Info. Science We all know weeding is necessary to maintain up to date and useful collections, but how much is "too much", especially when budgets are tight (or non-existent)? And how does one even begin to week e-materials? This session offers practical tips for weeding specific Dewey categories and highlights the issues involved with weeding e-books.
  *   Common Core Aps
Presented by Marianne Martens, KSU SLIS

Closing Session:
Emerging Technologies: Presented by: Holly Klingler, Emerging Technologies Librarian, NEO-RLS
Looking for info on the latest techno-trends for teachers, schools, students, and patrons but you don't want to be overwhelmed by too many techie details? Come join Holly Klingler, for a discussion and a friendly show and tell program where you can learn about what's in and what's out in the world of technology.
Closing Keynote:
Julie Cummins is a published author of children's books. Some of the published credits of Julie Cummins include The Inside-outside Book of Libraries, Country Kid, City Kid, Tomboy of the Air: Daredevil Pilot Blanche Stuart Scott, and more recently Women Explorers and Flying Solo.
This workshop is sponsored by NEO-RLS and Kent State University School of Library and Information Science.