[OPLINLIST] Feel-Good Marketing

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jul 16 11:43:41 EDT 2014

I went to an email marketing class several years ago, put on by Constant
Contact (an email marketing company). SWON had changed much of its staff
and was offering new programs, and we knew we needed help telling people
about these changes.

*What I learned is that there’s really no way to /make/ people pay
attention to your emails.* People quickly scan their email, typically,
rather than reading it in depth.

*To get people to read your emails, reward them for reading.* Give them
something, in the email, that makes opening it worthwhile. Teach them
something, give them a tip, or point them to a resource. This gift
should fit the audience of the email and should definitely not be a
nicely worded sales pitch. Concentrate on how you want to help them, and
then leave some room to ask people to take action. *This is called
content marketing.*

Writing content marketing emails can feel strange because they contain a
lot less marketing than other methods. And the job of coming up with
ideas and resources to give away is pretty different from writing a
quick pitch for an upcoming event. But the response we’ve gotten to our
emails has been positive, people still learn about our programs through
the emails, and it feels good to set out to help people each week, too.

You can learn more about content marketing from MailChimp
<http://www.mailchimp.com>, which has posted a variety of guides
<http://mailchimp.com/resources/> about email marketing (no doubt as
part of their own content marketing strategy).

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

    Level-Up Lab: Content Marketing for Libraries

Here’s the tie-in. On July 22nd, Nathan will be leading a Level-Up Lab
on Content Marketing. We’ll be using MailChimp’s materials as a starting
point to talk about marketing audiences and content. Then we’ll put the
content marketing idea into practice. We’ll take your programs or
program ideas and brainstorm for related content. Register today!
<https://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=455933&group=><https://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=455933&group=>

Can’t make it to the July 22nd Lab? Invite Nathan out to your library;
he’d be glad to help answer your specific questions.

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swonlibraries.org/events/event_list.asp> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Street Lit: Connecting and Collecting
    <https://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=459047&group=>*
    - (7/17/2014) - Online
  * *Libraries as Partners in Lifelong Learning
    <https://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=445604&group=>*
    - (7/17/2014) - Online
  * *Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung? – Applying Six Lessons from the
    Book in Your Life
    <https://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=445447&group=>*
    - (7/22/2014) - Online
  * *Level-Up Lab: Content Marketing for Libraries
    <https://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=455933&group=>*
    - (7/22/2014) - SWON Meeting Room
  * *Leading Meetings That People Want to Attend
    <https://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=445632&group=>*
    - (7/24/2014) - Online
  * *Ohio Library Support Staff Institute
    <https://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=437066&group=>*
    - (7/27–7/29/2014) - Wilmington, OH
  * *Less Stress, More Success: Give Yourself an Attitude Adjustment
    <https://swonlibraries.org/events/event_details.asp?id=445476&group=>*
    - (7/29/2014) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463
To subscribe or be removed from SWON's Events list, click
here:http://lists.swonlibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/events