[OPLINLIST] Internet Filtering Suggestions

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Jul 22 21:37:49 EDT 2014

I think OPLIN is still funding a membership to OpenDNS that is available to
Ohio public libraries at no additional cost.
http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/internet-filtering-service That's probably the
most economical option. It's the perfect combination of free-to-you,
easy-to-set-up, and meets CIPA requirements.

I have some fundamental issues (technical, not business-related!!!) with
the method it uses to block content, myself, so I haven''t to date used it
at my own library clients. Instead, ever since CIPA came about, I've been
using a free open source content filter called dansguardian. It has been a
particularly effective filter over the years. Setup, however, may not be
for the faint of heart, especially if you're not familiar with linux and
plan to set it up from scratch. It's easier if it's an add-on to something
you're already using...the network perimeter firewall, for instance, or
your http cache if you have one.

Oh. WRT to working in a virtual environment:  DansGuardian works very well
in a VM  and  OpenDNS simply replaces your network's DNS servers. It
doesn't require a local server at all and works perfectly well in ANY
environment (uh...except for one that isn't connected to the Internet, I
suppose!!  :-)  )

*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*