[OPLINLIST] Hoopla MARC records - do you put them in your catalog?

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Thu Jul 31 11:27:43 EDT 2014

> This is for any library that has Hoopla. Do you put their MARC records
> into your catalog as they suggest?

We do: http://search.myacpl.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?idx=kw&q=hoopla&do=Search&limit=mc-ccode%3ADNLD&sort_by=relevance

Our reasoning is that this is good advertising for our digital
collections for those patrons who may not think to check them. Since
we're also part of the Ohio Digital Library it means that patrons can
see results from multiple sources when searching for digital content.

> How does that work out for you?

Hoopla provides MARC records monthly, including a list of titles which
should be removed because they are no longer available. Loading the
records is easy. Deleting them is not as seamless for us, but that
probably depends on your ILS.

> What do you do when some particular book or movie is temporarily unavailable?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm sure there are sometimes gaps
between the time Hoopla removes some titles and the time we receive
the list of deletions, but I haven't heard any patron complaints. I
assume that other than random technical glitches that would be the
only reason a title would be unavailable.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries